Doctor Who 
Once Upon a Time 
Star Wars 
The Vampire Diaries 
Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Carmilla, Daredevil, Dorian Gray, Fantastic Beasts 2, Farscape, Free!, Gravitation, Harry Potter, The Hunger Games, The Lord of the Rings, LOST, Parks and Recreation, Pitch Perfect 2, Prison Break, Star Trek: The Motion Picture, Stardust, Supergirl, Survivor AU, Teen Wolf [1 each]
I'm baaack, with a set for round 4 at somein30! The theme was memory lane, aka. show the progress of either your fandoms or iconing styles through the years. I chose Normal mode (just the fandoms). If you want to now more about my fandom history, there's a lot of rambling below the spoiler cut :D If not, that's ok, hope you'll like some of the icons!! I put a lot into these and I hope it shows. Stylewise it's a return to my core styles, next time will be more out of the box for me.
|SOMEIN30 ROUND 4|
[MY FULL FANDOM HISTORY]My full fandom history:
1. Harry Potter (the books, not the movies), 2000-2005, peak in 2005?. My first real fandom, got me introduced to things like fanfiction and shipping. The Finnish fan forums were particularly amazing: super tolerant (you'd see ALL kinds of ships appreciated, no ship wars or kink shaming), super active, and the fic was mostly of pretty good quality.
2. Survivor, 2003->, peak in 2005. I started watching this in the middle of season 4 and have been hooked ever since. I was active on an online forum where I got to know many friends including thyla87. I chose season 7 for my icons because it's my favorite of the old school seasons, and Jonny Fairplay was such a fun classic villain.
3. Prison Break, 2006->, huge peak in winter 2006-2007. My sister started watching this, it didn't at all sound like my kind of show but DAMN was this addictive. I'm rewatching s1 rn and it's still incredible. I love the cast. And I'm horrified to admit that I remember now why I had such a massive crush on T-Bag at 18 o.O
4. Gravitation, 2006-2007, peak in summer 2007. Ok so I do not like Gravitation nor recommend it all all, it's tropey trash, but obviously I saw something in it as a teenager. I guess I was just excited to find something with canon gay couples but very soon I even got annoyed at the extra cliche main couple and stayed for the less canon but more interesting couples. My favorite character was Tohma Seguchi who I still think was pretty interesting. I'd say this is the worst thing on my list, just had to include it since I was a huge fan for a while.
5. Harry Potter 7, 2007-2008. Peaked twice in both 2007 and 2008, and I included it as separate from the rest of HP since this was published much later and my focus was different too, ie., I got suuuuper into Grindewald and Grindeldore. To a point where I tried doing a writing challenge where I was supposed to write 100 fics of Grindelwald, holy shit. I got maybe something like 20 done xD I was excited to find out they'd make movies with Grindelwald, but Depp just isn't doing it for me AT ALL so I included young Grindelwald in this icon instead, it's supposed to portray middle aged Dumbledore reminiscing. Hopefully the new actor will do a better job cause I do wanna ship adult Grindeldore too (Jude Law has been great as Dumbledore).
6. Star Trek, 2009. By now I was studying at a uni and started getting more into nerd culture since that was big in the tech uni and I was just getting into scifi, starting with the new 2009 Trek film which immediately led me to TOS, which I liked more. Ofc I shipped one of the biggest classic slash ships, Kirk/Spock. It's a weird outlier in my fandom history because it's sooo simple and wholesome compared to my other ships. The plots in this show were super simple space opera plots, not that great for the most part, but I had seen very few shows up to this point so I felt like they were great.
7. Star Wars prequels, mostly just winter 2009-2010. Short but intense period of shipping Anakin/Obi-Wan, another extra tragic noncanon m/m enemyship, so nothing new here. SW was a logical continuation from ST. I was also watching stuff like Battlestar Galactica and Stargate SG1, but nothing noteworthy enough to be on this list.
8. Farscape, 2009->, very long peak between 2010-2012. Now this show hit me like crazy. Quirky, fun, colorful space opera with an amazing cast and more emotional substance than the more formulaic scifi I had watched before. I still think this is one of the best shows ever. Sadly I don't love the main protagonist that much anymore, but there was a long period when all I could think about was John/Scorpius. Some of you may even remember me as john_scorpy, my first, embarrassing LJ name xD I made an LJ account in 2010 to post (crappy) fic, but got sucked into iconing instead and it was farscape_20in20 that made me really hardcore into icons. I made FS icons exclusively for a full year before venturing into other fandoms!
9. Buffy the Vampire Slayer, 2012->, peak spring/summer 2012. This was a conscious choice by me to watch something more popular in the icon circles and I chose BTVS, which was a great choice; fun show with great characters. My ships were Buffy/Giles and Buffy/Faith, so I iconed just Buffy herself.
10. Doctor Who, 2012->, first peak the entire latter half of 2012. This is where I made my fastest iconing progress, and the reason? I was SO obsessed with 10/Master that I wanted to icon them like 24/7. During this time, in winter 2012-2013, I think I finally found my iconing style. The Ten era was super important to me and I loved the fun plots and the whimsical nature of this show, but looking back, I definitely prefer the more serious Moffat era overall, and Twelve is my Doctor now. More on that later :)
11. LOST, 2013-2015, all peak tbh. This was another Farscape-level full blown long-ass OBSESSION. What an incredible show. Ben and Locke are still some of my biggest favorite characters out of any show ever, and their complex dynamic was the main draw, but this is one of those shows that actually weren't all ship-based for me, the whole goddamn thing is incredible. The plot, the mythology, the atmosphere, just... everything. LOST raised my bar for new shows so much that it's been VERY difficult to find new fandoms this big afterwards. (Btw, I did try watching this when it was airing in 2006, but I was a dumb teenager so I found the characters boring cause they were "old". Yes, back then I would have preferred to see a bunch of hot teenagers deserted on an island. Let's just say THANK GOD that's not the show xP).
12. Once Upon a Time, watched 2013->, peak summer 2014. OUAT was never my main fandom at any point so its inclusion is a bit suspect here, but I did have a very short period in summer 2014 when I thought about it a lot. s1 is still great, and I did love the Neverland and maaaaybe the Frozen arcs, the rest I just watched for the ever rarer Swan Queen interactions. Overall this show had the biggest drop in quality out of any show I've seen, and I wouldn't recommend it, but I can still appreciate some characters (Emma, Regina, Rumple). I fully believe that showrunners should never let the fans write the thing. Just do what you want and if the fans don't like it, whatever, you'll live. That's how I'd do it 100% and OUAT is a great example of why it's a bad idea to listen to too much fan input.
13. Carmilla, 2014->, peak winter 2014-2015. Lovely web show with the best canon romance I've seen: very complex, all the problems and baggage of a good guy/bad guy ship fully explored on a deep level, clever and emotional writing, due to the webcam format the focus is always on the characters and never too much on the plot action. There weren't many icons because I was super uninspired for icons at the time.
14. Parks and Recreation, 2015. I got sucked in during the time when I was supposed to write my bachelor's thesis lol so the main thing I associate with Parks is memories of major procrastination. I sometimes binged like 7 episodes one after the other :p This show even brought me back from an icon hiatus. So funny with a super likeable cast.
15. Teen Wolf, 2014->, peak summer 2015?. This was hard to place since I started watching it earlier, but really the only huge fandom phases were the two very close together peaks in 2015 when I first shipped Scott/Liam and then Peter/Lydia. It's not a fantastic show by any means but it's decently fun for what it is and I do enjoy the Pydia dynamic. This show lost a lot of quality and the writers kept bringing in and killing off new characters so it kinda got a little pointless at some point, but still not as messy of an end as OUAT.
16. Free!, 2015-2016, peak during this winter. At the end of 2015 I started the Random character project to find a new show to watch and it worked, as I found this lovely anime. This show had huuuge ship wars, since half the fandom preferred the angsty complexity of Rinharu and the other half was into the wholesome friendship-based Makoharu. I don't need to even say which side I was on lmao just look at my history. (obviously Rinharu.) S1 was absolutely perfect, the second season was kinda boring but still had some really good stuff, and the new third season is.. well.. I guess it's some sort of Free! too.
17. Dorian Gray, spring-summer 2016. A bit of a weird thing to include since this was just a standalone movie and also the original novel which I read, but it was an important detour in my fandom progression cause I was never that much into period things before, so watching this made me suuper interested in Victorian London, I loved that setting. I just love this story and the main character so much, I try to icon him every once in a while. (Haha, the reason I even got into this film in the first place was that I saw a screencap of it and Ben Barnes was so damn gorgeous, shallow reason to watch but a lot of good reasons to enjoy when I did)
18. Survivor, another peak in 2016 with season 33. I never stopped watching but my interest dwindled greatly during the "dark ages" (seasons 21-26). By 29 I was just watching so I could discuss it with my mom who's a huge fan. But then, I was bored, didn't have much going on at uni (I was supposed to write my master's thesis now lol, always with the procrastination!), and so I decided to catch up to where Survivor was in the US (Finland is always a few years behind). So I watched s30-32, liked them a lot, and 33 was airing so I jumped right in and daaaaamn this was THE BEST SEASON. I loved the cast so much I had to include seven(!) of them in the icon. My love for the show was reignited fully, and I can't wait for them to get filming again ;__;
19. Doctor Who, new peak in winter 2017-2018. I had seen seasons 8-9 before, barely, cause I was always so tired after uni that I half slept through these episodes on the first watch and they didn't leave much of an impact. But now I rewatched them and fell in love with 12, the best Doctor ever, and the dynamic between 12 and Clara. Weirdly enough, this is the only time I've shipped a Doctor with his companion, probably because it was the first time I felt like they weren't "supposed" to be shipped, yet were so obviously in love?? It's such an interesting, complex dynamic that keeps evolving in s8-9. S9 is especially emotional and perfect, and the tragic ending just made me love them more, because I'm a sucker for angst. The general quality of these seasons is fantastic too, imo it's the best era of nuWho.
20. Survivor AU, 2018->. No new movement from fandoms lately, the only thing to really report here is that my Survivor craziness has branched even into the international english speaking seasons: Australia and South Africa. Both have some really good seasons, I chose to icon David Genat from AU seasons 2019 and 2020, because he's the most entertaining person to be in any Survivor ever. Just perfect, perfect casting, this gorgeous maniac is born to be on tv. He's so cocky he nicknamed himself "Golden God" xD I have some people I have a bigger emotional connection to (AK is probably my international favorite), but David's objectively the best character and deserved to be on this icon.
Honorable mentiones that didn't quite make the list: The Lord of the Rings, The Rocky Horror Picture Show, Project Runway (S2), Supernatural, Sherlock, RuPaul's Drag Race
Hope you like these, take any you want, don't need to credit, but please leave a comment if you can as they mean the world to me! ♥